Tuesday, August 25, 2009

getting there

First of all I wanted to thank you all for your kind words of encouragement after my last post, it really helps!  On with the "report":

Day Two

We're doing pretty good I think.  It's hard to know if her successes are pure coincidence or on purpose.  She didn't wet the bed last night but she did pee on the floor a bit on her way to the potty this morning, not bad.  She had a three accidents this morning and then turned on her SUPER HOLD until the evening.  I knew she needed to go, it had been so long and she was holding herself a bit.  But she didn't say she needed to do it.  Some treats caught her eye on top of the fridge and she asked to have one.  The method I am following says not to do this, but I said, "Those treats are for girls who pee on the potty."  (The book says not to bribe.) She asked again and when I said she had to pee on the potty FIRST she just went in and did it!  I felt a little mocked, like she has had complete control all along but was just trying to be difficult.  Anyway, she has kept her underwear clean and dry since; successfully depositing her first BM as well as a couple of the other before bed.  Although she has expected a treat after each success, have I created a monster?  I am so proud of her tonight, she looks so grown up wearing "big girl" underwear, I can't get over it.  I've taken some pictures but can't post them now. 

Tomorrow is supposed to be the last day of hard core potty training and I will be relieved to be done with that.  The method I am following (and not following...) requires you to watch your child constantly so you can scoop them up and run them to the potty as soon as they start having an accident you MUST NOT miss an accident.  You don't have them sit and "try" to go at all.  So I am stressed out all day trying to watch her very carefully for 14 solid hours to catch those 2 or 3 accidents, it's hard to be vigilant ALL THE TIME.  Every quick grab of a paper towel from the kitchen or diaper for Tessa could be at the wrong time.  I try to bring Sophie with me everywhere but when she refuses, I literally RUN around the house trying to be away from her for the least amount of time possible.  I haven't been sleeping much, just so worked up over the whole thing.  We're hoping to go to dinner party with Dan's law school friends on Saturday, so that's the goal to have her ready to go out by then!

The BEST news from today I got when I called our apartment office.  I found out that when we renew our lease in a couple weeks we will get a complimentary carpet cleaning!!!  Couldn't come at a better time. :)

6 comments:

jaredelizabeth said...

It sounds like it's going great and you are doing what works! I remember planning potty training around carpet cleaning =).

Ann said...

Keep it up, it WILL pay off! Your awsome! And no your not creating a monster by giving her a treat for going in the potty. I had to give Elise treats for about a month and then I slowly stopped giving her treats. Oh and YAY SOPHIE! That's my awesome big girl! (That's what Elise would say and still does sometimes when she goes in the potty)

mommaquincy said...

The carpet cleaning sounds perfectly timed! I hope that you can relax from now on and she will take over. Good luck!

The Allens said...

Glad things are going pretty well. Good job Sophie! You are brave. I'm not even going to attempt to potty train Jace for a while. I did buy big boy underwear, but he does not care a bit and I am not up to cleaning up pee spots all over our new carpet. I'm hoping he'll magically just be trained one day...yeah right. Potty training is really one of the worst things about parenting in my opinion. You are a great mom...good luck!

Mandy @ Raising Little Dudes said...

Glad your getting the carpets cleaned, thats great timing!!! Sounds like things are going great though! Good job Sophie!

Lisa Nielsen said...

Oh boy! This sounds like so much work. Here I am so overwhelmed with my new little guy I can't even think about potty training. That sounds so hard. Cache may have to wear diapers his whole life:) j/k. I'm glad she is doing good. Hey we went private, so email me if you'd like an invite...lisanielsen84@hotmail.com