Tuesday, February 1, 2011

party’s over… high of 1 degree today

I think today will be the first day I skip my run for the weather this winter.  I read the following warning from the weather service:

Issued by The National Weather Service
Denver/Boulder, CO
5:21 am MST, Tue., Feb. 1, 2011

A WIND CHILL WARNING MEANS THE COMBINATION OF VERY COLD AIR AND STRONG WINDS WILL CREATE DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND CHILL VALUES. THIS WILL RESULT IN FROST BITE AND LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA OR DEATH IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN. IF YOU MUST VENTURE OUTDOORS... DRESS IN SEVERAL LAYERS OF WARM CLOTHING INCLUDING A HAT... SKI MASK OR SCARF... AND MITTENS.

DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND CHILLS CLOSE TO 40 BELOW ZERO WILL CAUSE FROSTBITE TO EXPOSED SKIN IN AS LITTLE AS 10 MINUTES.

Yikes!  Doesn’t that make it sound so formidable?  “This will result in frost bite and lead to hypothermia or death…”  There was a frostbite warning one day I went out on a run but it was lifted at 10 am, so I went at 10:30.  :)  But today it’s in effect all day.  I do need to go to the grocery story though… that should be an adventure.  Really wishing I had either a garage or remote ignition for my van today.

4 comments:

Kolbi Young said...

It's a day for inside play! Make some cookies and watch movies...and most of all keep warm. I just signed Ryker up for "The Little Gym" so that we could get out of the house once a week and really play. I can't wait until spring :)

mommaquincy said...

You definitely should stay in! Too bad you have to go to the store! BTW is your van running okay after the work you had done?

Zac & Chelsea said...

Remote ignition would be nice. I am definitely wishing for a garage though. Especially when you get home and have to take several trips out to the car to get all the groceries. I actually wondered this morning whether or not you went on your run. :) I am glad that you didn't risk the frostbite though. :)

Leslie & Matt said...

This "late" winter weather is CRAZY! It hasn't felt much like winter at all here & today the temp was 4 degrees with a wind chill making it "feel like" -31 degrees! School was cancelled because of it-CRAZY!

PS I am still so excited that you are prego! :) :) :)

PPS I am super sad that I had to miss a book club hosted by YOU! :(