So I decided to paint the chair black, I think it looks better this way (btw – haven’t actually upholstered her yet, the fabric won’t be so lumpy after it’s finished):
Here it is as she sits in my entry way for people to sit and take off their shoes.
I also finally decided what to do with the big wall in our dining room (it’s been blank for 4 months now). I stole the idea from a fellow blogger (thanks Erin!) to do a picture wall. I love the look of pictures in similar frames all lined up on a wall but I didn’t want to buy new frames for all our pictures, that would be really expensive! So I stole the idea to just paint them all the same color, I think it’s brilliant… although I haven’t painted them yet, here’s what I’ve done. Seems simple, but for me, it’s kind of a big deal. :)
Step 1: I gathered all the frames I wanted to use and traced them onto some old wrapping paper being careful to indicate which side is up.
Step 2: I taped the paper on the wall in different configurations until I was happy with the overall shape.
Step 3: I laid them out on the floor to make sure I would like how everything “went” together before Dan put all the nails in the wall.
Step 4: Dan put the pictures up on the wall using the papers to mark where he was placing the nails, he is so handy and patient with my many little tweaks and requests of, “could you move that one a little more to the left please?”
Step 5: I still need to paint the frames, I am thinking black… any other suggestions? I would leave them different but I think it would be best to have them the same color so they “go” together but they will still have their different shapes and textures.
Step 6: I was thinking about cutting out my own vinyl lettering but decided that all the time it would take me to do that is worth more than $15, so I placed an order for some letters online instead, they should arrive next week.
I’ll post pictures when it’s finished.
Speaking of things that need to be painted. I found these sticks outside and put them in my $1 thrift store vase with some black rocks in the bottom ($4 at Wal-Mart). I think they make a pretty sweet looking Halloween decoration, and so thrifty! They just need to be painted black. The buckets on either side are from Target. We’re getting pretty excited for Halloween around here. In fact, Sophie wore her costume to bed last night, on our morning walk, to the park this afternoon, during her nap, and to bed tonight! She’s only taken parts of it off when absolutely necessary to eat or go to the bathroom.
7 comments:
Very cute! I love the black chair. It gives it so much more of a presence and I think it makes the mirror pop more too. Love the picture wall!
I LOVE what you did to that chair!!! It does look much better! Good job Jessica!
I love the photo wall AND the chair! Your blog is becoming my new favorite "craft blog" to read. :) Cute Halloween decor too. I just went to a baby shower where the hostess took sticks from her yard and put them in a vase. Then she hot-glued tissue paper, twisted at the bottom into flower/leaves shapes to the sticks. Totally free because she already had the tissue paper and it turned out so cute!!
The chair looks fab! I like that black and white look. great choice! the frame wall is so cute! matt and i plan on doing this over our couch in our living room...when we have one that is. i think you should paint all of the frames white or black. you could also buy those cardboard letters for your last name or "family" and hang the letters above the frames.
The chair looks so nice! You changed the fabric, too, eh? Erika's picture wall downstairs is with frames she painted black. I may try it in my hall. Nice work!
I love the chair. Will you come decorate my house?
oh Jessica, your chair looks wonderful. I really LOVE it! Good job.
Post a Comment