My good friend Kim made me this cake, she’s awesome! I love rainbow chip frosting, it’s the best. My birthday present from Dan was a blue accent wall! Thanks honey. The girls liked to pretend to paint too.
My birthday fell on Labor Day this year which is so convenient! I love shopping thrift stores for random wonderful things and both Goodwill and ARC had everything in the store for 1/2 off! Since it was my birthday, I finally got Dan to come with me. I picked up this cool purple vase for $1.50 and Pottery Barn frame for $2.50. I was really tempted by a $30 dresser to put under our TV and increase our storage… but I’m too indecisive to make those kind of high pressure decisions in a busy store. So I am still watching Craig’s list, although I’ve found a number of dressers I love for under $50, I still never buy one… Here’s a picture of our current set up:
What I want is to paint a cool one like one of these (the pictures are links to the blogs of those who painted them.) It’s just so hard to commit! And decide on a color. I love painted furniture, I know not everyone does, but I think it’s stunning. And now that I have a colored wall, it makes it more complicated, do I match it, compliment it? Or just do white? I don’t want my living room to look like sesame street.
This dresser proposition literally consumes my thoughts most of the time, I’m sort of obsessed with the idea. I check Craig’s list a dozen times a day or more looking for the perfect dresser, but as I said, I never buy one. Here are a couple of my favorite finds (that I didn’t buy):
I’ll keep you posted if I ever get the courage to try this out! Anyway, here’s a picture of my new wall, isn’t it nice? I enjoy having some more color. As you can see in the picture below, I did end up selling our couches and bought a small brown one, thanks for all of your advice on that, I tried some slip covers but they didn’t fit. I don’t love the couch, but it is much more neutral. Also, notice that french dresser by the couch. That was a $10 craig’s list find from 1 mile up the street. Can’t beat that! We actually painted her white yesterday, still deciding whether to glaze her or not. (Like the white one above) I’ll post pictures of that soon.
Come to think of it, last time I obsessed over something like this and fretted, but I totally love and will never regret making my headboard. Makes me smile every time I see it. It’s just so hard to know if you’ll like something until it’s in your house. Wish I could visualize these things better.

5 comments:
I have been searching Craigslist and KSL daily for a dresser, too! I want more of a buffet table/dresser that is a little taller. The flat screen in our bedroom is on the wall and I want to have a place to hide the DVD player and cords - hence the necessity for a taller piece of furniture. And I want to paint it a creamy white with glaze. But my problem is the opposite of yours, I'm slightly impulsive. I just see what I want and then buy it. Usually this works out fine, but you can't return a dresser.....hmmm.....better be pretty sure I love it before I buy, right!?! Can't wait to see what you come up with! Happy Birthday!
I'm the same way. It is hard to picture if something is going to look good until you get it home and get it painted. I found a killer 70-ish dresser that is kind of long and squatty at a yard sale for $5.00 that I am in love with, but still can't figure out which color to paint it. Maybe I'll have to do a post and have help deciding.
Happy Birthday, Jessica! I LOVE painted furniture too- I think old dressers are usually better quality and I like how you can make them one of a kind. I am in love with your headboard.
Happy Birthday to you!!
Will you please come decorate my house? I lack nerve. Big time. You have the "eye" for the look that appeals to me so much! So fun to see your creativity at work!
good job! Love it! I would go with a black, brown, or white table under your TV that way when you move you have more options. Keep up the frugal work! :)
Post a Comment