I would like to recommend the Denver Art Museum as a good “free day” choice. I’ve been to a free day at the Nature and Science museum and at the Zoo, NEVER AGAIN. It’s simply not worth driving around for an hour trying to park, parking 2 miles away, and then literally fighting with the crowds to see exhibits. Both were just wall to wall people every where.
In contrast, I’ve attended 2 free days at the Art Museum now and it totally rocks! Granted, we arrived shortly after they opened both times and it probably gets busier later in the afternoon. But we really like the art museum. They had added some more kid areas since I’ve been there last, making it even more kid friendly! There were SEVERAL arts and crafts areas, a dress up area, play room with fabric word pillows, a kid movie “cave,” and games throughout. (Notice in the pictures our comfortable proximity to the other patrons.)
Matt was in town for a 3rd interview and we just heard today that he has a contract! (We are SO excited to have them move to Denver.) Anyway, it was fun to have him come too.
This Indian painting is my favorite, of course the picture doesn’t do it justice, it is just beautiful. The center one is actually flattened bottle caps hooked together with wire. The last one had a small room dedicated to it, explaining how it was done and displaying the pieces used.
There was some very, ahem, interesting stuff too… like this room that had projectors putting up lines and angry words up on the walls of a dark room. And this baby that destroyed all of its toys. On the modern art floor Sophie kept saying, “look Mom, that’s so funny art huh?” And she was right. I do get some of it… but not all.
I love art and I LOVE free! So come see us the 1st Saturday of any month and we’ll take you down town to the art museum!
4 comments:
What a fun trip! I'm the same way when it comes to art- sometimes I get it right away, sometimes I need an explanation, and sometimes it just doesn't make sense.
Awesome! How about when I'm there for Girl's Camp in August?
That sounds like such a blast! I definitely think we need to take you up on it!
Yay for having some family in town!
Post a Comment