Thursday, January 21, 2010

my shrinking baby and the good/bad news

Houston - Tessa   Tessa has grown but went down on the percentile charts at her 12 month (1 month late) check up today:

Weight:     19lb 9.2oz – 16%

Height:     29 inches – 32%

Head:     17 3/4 cm – 42%

The worst news… from my girls’ pediatrician (who I liked until she told me this) she said there is a new regulation where “they” recommend we keep our kids in rear-facing car seats until they are 2!  That’s right, my doc said Tessa’s got to face the back until she’s 2 years old!!!!!!  Did my doctor make this up?  Has anyone else heard this? 

I guess it’s back to Tessa always crying in the car for 1 more year.  What a bummer.  I’m so sad about this, but safety first… I guess.

I do have a bit of (unrelated) good news.  I found $300 today!  This story needs a little background:

Last October Dan and I decided to sign a 9 month lease on our current apartment instead of the cheaper 11 or 12 month lease.  Signing a shorter contract subjected us to a higher rent payment but, at that time, we saw it as a 50/50 chance we would be moving out in June for Dan to take the bar in a different state. 

Since then, we have decided to stay in Colorado and Dan will take the bar here.  So all this extra rent we’ve been paying just sucks.  I’ve been thinking about how we are going to pay our upcoming student loan payments (can I tell you how HUGE or payment will be?  don’t get me started) and of course our expensive rent has been really screwing up my budget.  So I decided to hop online and look around for a cheaper place in the area.  While comparing our current floor plan to another I noted that the advertized price for our current apartment is $280 LESS monthly than we are paying now!!

So, today (this is where it gets good)  I called the leasing office prepared to tell them we are moving out if they won’t lower our rent to the market rate.  Well, in talking to the manager I found out that I’ve been over-paying our rent by $100/month.  Say whaaaaat???  I was shocked, why hadn’t they told me?  Good news is, our rent isn’t quite as bad as I thought, and I inadvertently saved $300! 

Would you believe me if I told you I am losing my mind?  Well I am, who else forgets how much their rent is?  It’s true what they say, having children kills brain cells.  I used to be smart.

15 comments:

Mary-Anne said...

I can't believe they didn't tell you that you were overpaying! But that is good news. At least it's not as expensive as you thought! That's exciting that Dan decided to take the bar in Colorado. Hopefully he will find something quickly. I'm starting to get a little stressed about the whole job and paying back loans thing...

The Culbertson's said...

The car seat thing is fairly recent...but know this the laws have not yet changed. As long as they are 1 and 20 lbs they can be turned around. The advocacy groups for child saftey and such are now strongly recommending that you keep your child rear faceing for AS LONG AS POSSOBLE. I still truned Ella around when she was one. Do a little research into what the Police/Fire department say (they are always willing to help install a car seat here in FL) but I think once she hits a solid 20 lbs and she still gets very upset in the car I would turn her around. My older sister (before all the rules and laws) was turned around at 8 months because...she gets VERY CAR SICK and this could be bugging Tessa. So as longs as the laws haven't changed (and I don't think they have) your Ped. can advise you on things but the choice is still yours.

The Hulls said...

I have heard that you should keep them rear facing until they are two... but our doc never said anything to me so I did change Chase. Maybe thats bad! And woohoo for "finding" $300 dollars! Boy do we understand the student loans... I don't even like to think about it... it just gets depressing!

Jenny Kendall said...

"they" recommend staying rear-facing as long as possible since it is always a little safer. 2 years is totally arbitrary. I say you've just got to choose. maybe you can justify facing forward because a crying baby is distracting and might make you more likely to get in a wreck.

Ann said...

2 years old! I've heard other people mention that too. Rediculous! Their knees will hit them in their face if they get into an accident becuase they're so long. I wouldn't listen to the doctor. It's not a law and if they "reccomend it" it's not a regulation. She's just suggesting it. But congrats on the $$$$!

The Allens said...

I heard the same thing...I think they're nuts. However, our doc said to keep them rear facing as long as possible, probably meaning until their poor cramped up legs can't take it anymore. And with how big Gage is already I don't think he'll make it even close to two years. Before you know it they'll want teenagers in booster seats. Crazy!

Summer Wilson said...

I understand on the kids draining brain cells. I fed Grant a cheerio yesterday instead of Ava. :b As far as the car seats, I've seen the studies and right now it's merely a suggestion not a requirement; unless it's changed in the last few months.

Mandy @ Raising Little Dudes said...

I have heard about rear facing for much longer....its been a debate on a mommies site that Im with. We personally will NOT be turning Neacel around, for selfish reasons. Glad you found some money, thats always a wonderful thing!

mommaquincy said...

I'm glad that you found the money. The ones without brain cells would have never figured it out!

Jenelle said...

My doc just said she had to be 20 lbs. She didn't hit 20 lbs til she was 17 months, so that's when I turned her around. The car seat said on it they have to be 20 lbs so I figured the manufacturers test it for that weight too. Good luck and congrats on the money! That's awesome!

Dannenbergs said...

Of course you do what is best for your family, but just because something is recommended or your doctor says you have to, you don't have to.

Yeah for unexpected money!

Mindee said...

Since we're having a new baby any day now, I just looked at the carseat regulations site yesterday & they have NOT changed the 1 yr/20lbs law. Yet. I'd probably keep Tessa rear-facing until she is FOR SURE 20 lbs, though, since they're probably going to change the law sooner than later :) I turned Rachel front-facing when we had Sam.. She was 10 1/2 months old, but was long & about 19 lbs. Our pediatrician agreed with my doing that since we'd have had them both rear-facing! If Tessa's freaking out that badly, I say just switch her when she's 20 lbs :)

Nifty Nick said...

That's a bunch of crap. Our generation didn't even wear seatbelts, and we turned out ok. I think it's abusrd to see these 5 foot tall kids in booster seats. What's next? Bubblewrap?

Brady, Emily, Brinklee, Adri (Private) said...

She is getting to be such a big girl. I am going to the doctor tomorrow for Adri's check-up, I'll let you know what my doc says.

Megan said...

I used to be smart too. I have never heard of the carseat thing, that's weird. I don't think i would do it. She's ALMOST 20 lbs. Growing up. Looks like you had a fun trip to Houston.